MOSSY CREEK UNITED METHODIST
CHURCH
 Established in 1821, Mossy Creek United Methodist Church is thought to have been one of the very first churches in White County.  Some say it was the first.  The Mossy Creek community, and church have a rich history. 

History of Mossy Creek United Methodist Church


Mossy Creek Meeting House was established in 1821. The first building, constructed of hewn logs, was built on the property of Mr. Clement Quillian about 4 miles southeast of what is now Cleveland, Georgia, and was situated somewhat to the southwest of the
present church. A few years later, on October 31, 1825, a deed was made by Clement Quillian to the Trustees of Mossy Creek Meeting House and their successors in office. The property included the Methodist Meeting House, called Mossy Creek Meeting House, together with the spring and burying ground and contained by estimation eleven acres. It was deeded forever provided they continue a house of worship for the use of the members of the Methodist Episcopal Church…


Although we have not been able to determine at this time who the very first pastor of this church was, we know that Reverend Nathaniel Rhodes was here in 1826 and that Reverend William Jasper Cotter was here in 1849, and we do know that there are at least
three preachers buried at Mossy Creek. They are: Reverend George Phillips (who lived from between 1753 and 1755 to 1839), Reverend Wiley Warwick (1771-1856); and Reverend F. A. Quillian (1824-1864). There is a good possibility that these men may have preached at Mossy Creek. In more recent years former pastor Rick Arnold was buried in our cemetery. He lived from October 30, 1952- November 24,
1984. After the year 1860 we have a complete list, compiled by Reverend Ralph E. Harris, of all of the other pastors who have served here up to the present time. In the hundred years from 1868 to 1968, Mossy Creek had 67 pastors.

In 1844 the Methodist Church was split over the question of slavery. The church remained divided for nearly a hundred years or until 1939. During this time most of the Methodist churches in the county were known as Methodist Episcopal
Church South; only two, Bethel and Macedonia were Northern Methodist.


The old log church was used by the congregation until the late 1870’s. A new frame church was completed and moved into by congregation in 1878. It was also located to the Southwest of this present church down in the woods and to the Southeast of the first old log church. At this time Reverend J. R. Pate was the Pastor.



In the early days the churches were often the organizers of the schools and the preachers were many times teachers also. Mossy Creek Academy was established February 11, 1889, the school opened under the management of Professor A. F. Johnson with 47 students and quickly grew to 128 by the end of the first term. Better known as Mossy Creek High School, it was a 2 story boarding school with Departments of
Business, English Grammer, Geography, Orthography, Vocal and Instrumental Music, a Literary and Debating Society and a Teacher’s Department. The school building was located on or near the site of the first old church down by the spring. The dormitory for the school was situated at the bend in the first road leading down to the old church sites and was served by a well. The school continued to operate for some
30 years or so.



For many years the Cleveland Charge consisted of Cleveland, Zion, Nacoochee, Mossy Creek, Chattahoochee, Loudsville and Mt. Pleasant churches. Then in 1953 Cleveland
Church went full time and thereafter Mossy Creek, Trinity, Bethel in White County and Bethel in Hall County made up the Mossy Creek-Trinity Charge. In 1961 Trinity went full time, leaving Mossy Creek and the two Bethels to make up
the Mossy Creek Charge. Then in the year 1968 Bethel in Hall was taken off the Charge, leaving Mossy Creek free to have 11:00 a.m. worship services each Sunday
.



In 1961, during the pastorate of Rev. James M. Dale (1961-1962), Mossy Creek built its own red brick parsonage on ground deeded to the Trustees by Mrs. Albert Dorsey. It is
situated adjacent to the church on the South, and was dedicated on May 16, 1965 by Bishop John Owen Smith
.

 

 

 

This history was taken from a booklet compiled and written by our church Historian, Mrs. Nella Keene.  

**** We Would like to have a copy of a picture of the old church building. If any one has one, please notify a member or our pastor.